Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Oscars...


The 82nd Annual Oscars aired this past Sunday. I'm usually a big fan of the Oscars and all the hoopla that comes along. It is exciting to see actors that you care about getting acknowledged. This year I was underwhelmed. Out of the 10 films that were nominated for Best Picture, I only saw 2 (Avatar and Precious). I find it hard to get excited about films and actors that I have never heard of. Hosts Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin were funny enough (I probably could have done without one of them, sorry Alec). The winners were equally underwhelming. Mo'Nique, who in my opinion is not a very good actress outside her role for Precious, won Best Supporting Actress. She was alright in the film, not Oscar-worthy. Sandra Bullock won Best Actress for "Blind Side"(could care less about her). Jeff Bridges won for Best Actor, he is consistently great and his win is probably overdue.

The only great thing that I saw this year, was the tribute to late director John Hughes. His films were liked by so many and he made a lot of young actors very big stars. Molly Ringwald, Matthew Broderick and Macauley Culkin all had fond memories of the director and very nice things to say about him (as did many of the other "Brat-packers" who appeared in his films). It was a very touching tribute to him. The tribute to horror films was also a nice change. Not my favorite Oscar Awards presentation though.

No comments: