Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Whole Foods vs. Sun Harvest


I know, I know. Every time I say this someone looks at me kind of crazy. Why would I not like Whole Foods? It's not that I don't like them, I just think they are overpriced and over-rated. Sometimes (especially at lunch) there's no parking and you can't even properly walk through the store if you have a cart. It's too much! It isn't very cheap either. They do have healthy food choices and prepared foods, yes, but I can never leave there without feeling overwhelmed. They almost have too many choices for me.


I prefer Sun Harvest who has pretty much the same food (with fewer choices). I never really have to search very hard for parking and don't have to wait in line that long. I feel like anything that I would need to get at Whole Foods, I can usually find there as well and with less hassle.


A friend of mine once told me that she was out of cereal so she needed to go all the way over to Whole Foods (which was far away from her home), and I remember thinking "Really, is that the only place where you can buy cereal? NO ONE else has cereal?" I think she just liked saying that she shopped there. Here in Austin, I've never been able to figure out why people feel so strongly attached to Whole Foods.


I recently heard that Sun Harvest had been bought out by Whole Foods. Maybe they will leave the Sun Harvest stores as-is. It would make me a little sad to see them disappear or change into Whole Foods stores. I prefer the unassuming, corner store feeling of Sun Harvest as opposed to the flashiness of Whole Foods. Just my opinion.


No comments: