Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Beyonce's "4"


I do love Beyonce, but lately I just haven't been feeling her music. Her previous two albums "B-Day" and "I am...Sasha Fierce" have served up nothing more than pop tune fluff. I long for the days where she sang RNB songs (remember "Dangerously in Love?). Her new album called "4" is a return to her RNB roots (which excites me). She has so much soul in her voice that it seems like such a waste for her to just sing silly pop songs. I love almost every song on this disc and most of the songs have a retro-soul sort of vibe. My favorite track is called "Party" and features the reclusive and amazing Andre 3000 and Kanye West. "End Of Time" is another favorite, it has an upbeat sounding African rhythm section and horns.

Another gripe that I usually have with Beyonce is that she releases her album and then 3 or 4 months later she releases a "Deluxe Edition" with extra tracks (after her true fans have already bought the first disc). She released the "Deluxe Edition" with the regular edition, thus giving her fans the opportunity to choose which edition they want. The "Deluxe Edition" is a Target-only exclusive and offers 3 extra tracks and some additional remixes (I would recommend this edition, the extra tracks are definitely worth it). I think this is her best CD in years (3 out of 4 stars).

No comments: